[COMEBACK INTERVIEW] Yook Sungjae "YOOK O'clock" Interview in Naver VIBE

I think ‘Yook’ is my self-confidence which can make me feel a bit more special and help me to shine brighter.

Article Date: 2020. 03. 03

(SPECIAL)

Completely Yook Sungjae’s Time

From the last winter for 3 months, Yook Sungjae who has been releasing singles as a solo artist with 2 songs each month, he added another single, not as BTOB, but by releasing a solo album. Even though he has shined enough in variety shows, as an actor, or as an idol, but we can see the most of Yook Sungjae’s look through this album.

 

Yook Sungjae Interview

You completed your new album by adding a new song ‘Come With The Wind’ after the 3-month project ‘3X2=6’ started last December.

The new song ‘Come With The Wind’ is a song that contain a story about reminiscing the past by riding on the blowing wind, a song that can show myself more as a vocalist. I think this is a song that suits and is nice to listen to during the upcoming spring.

 

The subject for 3x2=6 project is about yourself. By looking at yourself as a musician Yook Sungjae, human Yook Sungjae, and BTOB member Yook Sungjae, is there anything new that you have just realized about yourself?

Up until now, I thought that I limited myself to ballad genre only, but while I’m preparing for 3x2=6 project and also this special album, I have a chance to take a challenge on urban genre and medium tempo song. It felt extremely fresh.

 

Releasing 2 songs a month for 3 months is not an easy workload even if you don’t have any other activities. What are your thoughts about these 3 months?

Gladly, there are a few songs that already finished before the 3x2=6 project started, so I didn’t think it was too hard or tiring. I’ve been driven by the feeling of wanting to quickly show the fans about my challenge as a solo and share my new songs.


 

 

There’s a number ‘six’ in 3x2=6 project, and also a number ‘six’ in YOOK O’clock, which is your own name. It’s actually not easy to mention your own name in all of your pieces of work. Is there any special attachment about your name other than its uniqueness and easy to remember?

(T/N: Yook means six)

If you look at it, ‘Sungjae’ can be seen as a common name, but when there’s a surname ‘Yook’ in the front, somehow the name sounds more special. I can say that ‘Yook’ is my self-confidence which can make me feel a bit more special and help me to shine brighter.


If you look back, what did you gain from the variety show ‘Master in The House’ you have appeared in for more than 2 years?

I think I’ve become more open to social life. I usually didn’t like to be at a gathering or a get-together and preferred to spend my time alone. But at some point, I find it fun to work by meeting people. Not to mention that I’m not a type who likes to share my story with others, but through <Master in the House>, I shared my inner feelings and received comfort. Watching that side of me, it was a chance to realize, “I indeed have changed a lot.”

 

Other than this program, you kept appearing in many variety shows without any rest ever since your debut until now. While still being faithful to your own job, you didn’t lose(?) your chance to appear in variety shows. Is there any particular reason why you do that?

Actually, I don’t have any big goal as an entertainer (laugh). But I guess the reason why I keep appearing in variety shows are because I could get experiences by doing some difficult challenges from other places, I could see the new side of me that I didn’t realize it before, and I could laugh and create a happy time together with people.


 

 

You have also told us the news about your new drama <Mystic Pop-up Bar> that will air soon. Since you do acting and music at the same time, does your music and acting give help to each other?

I think that both acting and singing have a lot of similarities in expressing ‘emotions’. Whether it’s my expression I’ve never seen before while I’m acting, or my gesture when I’m singing, it seems like I’m gradually getting familiar with these two areas.


You also released a few self-written songs. The lyrical words that you wrote and the poetic title really stand out. What are the things that Yook Sungjae wants to express in the lyrics and where do you usually get the inspiration?

I’m not a type of person who usually get inspiration. I’m closer to writing the melody and the lyrics thoughtlessly. If I did it like that, at some point I would come up with an unbelievable idea. And usually, my personality is that when I’m interested in one thing, I will dig into it. So when I compose a song, I would focus on it and do it at once.

 

As your activity period keeps building up, you gradually become more active to take part in composing, writing lyrics, and songwriting. How did you end up participating in making your music? And among the various fields of making music, is there any particular field that you are interested in and want to grind and pursue more in the future?

At first, it started when I talked with a hyung I am close with, “let’s write a song!” And after that, I wrote the song whenever I had time. I feel like when I don’t work in a hurry and talk comfortably at some point when I have time, the result of the work will turn out good. In the future, I will take part in songwriting and vocal even deeper. I want to show you the songs that I want to sing and pursue.

 

 

 

Other than music, you have many hobbies and huge interests such as fashion, cooking, fishing, and so on. What is the source of your positive life for you to live with full energy?

I’m a person who thinks that balancing work life and daily life is very important. I don’t think work as an extension, I’m doing work that ‘human Yook Sungjae’ wants to do and keeping hobbies that could get rid of my miscellaneous thoughts. If you want to work hard, then you also need rest and comfort as much. So, I think that’s why I could work even harder.


In the magazine interview a few years ago, you said, “I’m doing well as BTOB Yook Sungjae, but I also want to be recognized through my own song.” This dream has come true, so what is your next goal after releasing your album?

I don’t think that my dream has come true. I think I’m just about to take one step. In the future, as my ‘BTOB Yook Sungjae’ side keeps growing, I also want to show various sides of me as ‘soloist Yook Sungjae’.

 

For the last, what do you want to say to your fans who are waiting for Yook Sungjae’s solo album?

3x2=6 is a project that started because I wanted to let people listen to my solo songs before 2019 ended. Thank you for always supporting me, loving me, and also waiting for me. Please give lots of love to this special album [YOOK O’clock]!


Source: Naver VIBE | Article Date: 03.03.2020

--- translated by: btobalwaysmelody.blogspot.com ---

please take out with full credit


ã…¡ ã…‡ ã…¡


Cause Sungjae wants to let you to listen



No comments:

Post a Comment