[MAGAZINE] Seo Eunkwang Interview in THEATRE+ August 2020 Issue

My biggest dream is to continue being together with BTOB.



[COVER STORY] BEGIN AGAIN_Musical <Something Rotten> Actor Seo Eunkwang


BEGIN AGAIN

On Sunday afternoon in the peak heat of summer, Seo Eunkwang whom we met at Garosu-gil, was fun, cheerful, and warm as always.


editor Lee Minjeong photographer ROBIN KIM stylist Park Hyejeong, Jeon Sohyun hair Kim Tae-hyun (beauty salon by Taehyun) makeup Kim Mi-ae (beauty salon by Taehyun)



After finishing his duty to protect the country, as soon as he came back, Seo Eunkwang's schedule is full of broadcast appearance, concert, stages, etc. The pressure of hiatus was blown away early with his unchanging singing ability and his pleasant way of talking to people around him, but no one knew that he would stand on the musical stage this fast. Not to mention that he appeared in a musical <Something Rotten> which is known as 'a masterpiece that goes beyond imagination'. This highly anticipated musical work with its premiere license, starts with unexpected curiosities like, "When is the first musical was born in the humankind?" and "Wouldn't it be fun if Shakespeare's London was similar to Broadway in the thirties, the golden of musical?". The romance of Renaissance era, the struggle fight between the Bottom brothers who produce the first musical in the humankind against Shakespeare, the best playwriter of the time. And it's said that they will parody some parts of lines and musical number from <Les Misérables>, <Rent>, <A Chorus Line>, <Wicked>, <Avenue Q>, etc., and also passages and words from Shakespeare's novel brilliantly. So, what should we say to explain it in one sentence? It's a brilliant yet funny, a witty yet unique comedy!


In this musical, Seo Eunkwang acts as “Nick Bottom” who leads a play. He is a character who feels responsible to make a living for his family, and at the same time, he needs to keep Shakespeare on the check, while searching for a masterpiece to encounter him. Even though Eunkwang bashfully said, “I’m still learning while chasing around the hyungs” and laughed, but just like an idol-actor at his seventh stage, every time he’s getting his make-up, in the middle of shooting, or when he’s giving out school-food kimbap and ice coffee, he always thinking about the play and singing. With his enthusiasm towards the play, his feelings for the fans, his positive attitude, and his polite manners towards the staff, everything becomes one to complete ‘Seo Eunkwang'.


 


Seems like you are currently busy not just because of the return work of <Something Rotten>, but also solo concert preparation. How are you doing lately?

I just finished my solo album promotion and now I’m preparing for the concert and musical at the same time. My mind is now full of musical and concert all day. Even though I came back with a ballad album, but during the 2 hours concert later, I’m planning to show dance, performance, musical number and other various genres. I’m living a hectic life.


Is there anything that has changed after you discharged from the military?

I think that I didn’t change at all, but many people said to me, “you look more handsome!” (laugh). From what I see, seems like my face right now suits well with the 30s. Now that I often hear people saying I look more comfortable, it also makes me feel less burden. There’s a reason why I’ve gotten a little older too. And now that I have gone to the military, I feel like there is no wall anymore when I’m working.


Even so, the “‘big wall’ has disappeared” expression left a big impression. But is it related to the musical activities you’ve completed?

It’s totally related. While I’m in the military, I was on hiatus for about 2 years. Either way, I have a dream in this musical industry, yet the time I had before enlisting was very short since I have to settle everything within the appointed time. Thankfully, I could join many great musicals even though the range and my view of musical play choices were very narrow before. But I think my feeling towards musical plays has become more comfortable and relaxed, until the point I can pay attention to details.


 

You must get lots of offers after discharged, we are curious about the reason why you choose <Something Rotten> as your first musical.

All of the best creators are gathered here, from musical director, music director, choreographer, etc. Even though this is my first time to meet everyone, but I already knew and familiar with them, so I really wanted to work together with them at least once.


If you look at the framework, <Something Rotten> somehow has an absurd setting. How did you feel when you first got the script?

It was ridiculous (laugh). That’s why I had many worries about it. Will it be funny when a foreign comedy play is changed with Korean emotions? Before I decide on this work, I wanted to meet the director and hear what she feels about the musical play.


What did Lee Jina Director tell you?

“Among idols who are doing musical, you are the first person after ‘Shinee’ Kibum who came to me before the musical started.” She said that and told me a lot of things that I need. I also felt happy when she told me she could see my passion for the work, and of course, that made me trust this musical.



We heard that you are entering the 6th week of practice. How do you feel after practice?

All of the worries I had at first are disappearing slowly. Because the play adapted so well with Korean emotions, I thought that it is not for nothing that they were called as professionals and the best. They are digging into every detail like body motion, movement, music interval, and others while still making it interesting. You don’t know how much fun the practice is.


You are acting as ‘Nick Bottom’ who is leading a theater company, together with other outstanding senior actors who played the same role like Kang Pilseok, Lee Jihoon, etc. Seems like you will feel thrilled and burdened at the same time.

For me, rather than ‘sharing’ stories about the character with the hyungs, I’m still learning by following them. (laugh) I met with Jihoon hyung during <Hamlet> musical and it’s my first time meeting Pilseok hyung. In this musical, Pilseok hyung is the most senior among everyone, and I wonder if there’s anyone who can be as nice as him. He always comes first and takes care of me. I’m in a situation where my musical sense is dropping due to military hiatus for 2 years, and during my process and hard work to find that again, I’m receiving lots of help from Jihoon hyung and Pilseok hyung.


What do you think is the main point of “Nick Bottom” who is played by Actor Seo Eunkwang?

Uhm… I think he is more passionate compared to the other Nick. It’s probably because I still have the youth image among the three of us. I think I’m going to show the most cheerful and brightest version of Nick, and the most important fact is, the character from the three of us won’t be overlapped. First, Pilseok hyung is very funny and Jihoon hyung is very handsome. If I have to express it in one sentence, Pilseok hyung is “It’s really fun”, Jihoon hyung is “whoa, he’s cool”, while me, “Keu, exciting!”


You are currently at the peak of practice, what is the hardest part?

I can’t help but feel difficult to learn tap dance since it’s my first time. Should I say that tap dance is more like a skill rather than a dance? If tap dance is the most troubling part, among all the musical works I have done, this is my first time to have lines as much as in <Something Rotten>. That’s why I always think that I have to “work even harder.”


We heard that you even have a tap dance battle with Shakespeare. But wouldn’t Seo Eunkwang’s tap dance skills be the most excellent?

Nick is not a character who is good at tap dancing. Even so, wouldn’t there be some performances that I can show among the three of us? (laugh).


 

Since Nick is the head of the household who is responsible for the theatre company, it seems like there will be some similar points with leader Seo Eunkwang who leads BTOB.

Nick really cares for his younger brother and his wife. His love for them is very big. Since I also love my members like my own family, I think that’s what makes us similar.


Since this musical premiers for the first time, not much is known about it. Please tell us a bit about what kind of musical is this, and how do you want to approach the audience.

First, this musical is the best comic play. The person named Nick has a feeling of inferiority towards Shakespeare, and Nick always wants to surpass him. So, lots of things will happen as he tries to find the prophet and carry out the silly play. He will have a conflict with his brother, and since he isn’t sure of himself and only trusts the prophet to push out the silly musical, there will be many absurd and ridiculous stories that are fun to watch, so all friends or family can enjoy it.


Since you are actually a cheerful person, seems like it’s going to be comfortable for you to perform it on stage as if you put your own smile.

My personalities are quiet and timid. That’s why it was a little bit hard at first. A ‘comic play’ is very different from a variety show, so timing is really important. I’m still struggling to find a way to resolve this. It’s not the same as my own smile (laugh).


If that’s the case, then <Something Rotten> is also another challenge for Seo Eunkwang.

Of course. One of the reasons why I choose this play, when I was in the middle of acting lesson right after I discharge, the teacher said to me, “If you take this musical, I think your acting will improve a lot.” I have big greed in acting, so it will probably help me to grow as an actor. I have my own goal.


After your debut in <Monte Cristo> musical in 2013, and now, this is already your seventh musical. Is there any reason why you are working hard on musical activities like this?

It’s mostly because I have greed in acting. While I practice for singing, I also listen to musical number and fell in love with it. I also have a dream to sing a musical number that I like on stage. Maybe because I keep doing it with passion, I can go up to this point.


Between musician and actor, do you have any other attractive title?

Actually, I like both of them, but I like it the most when people just look at me as Seo Eunkwang. Just like Lim Changjung sunbaenim, even though he actives in many fields as singer and actor, but he also received much love as a person Lim Changjung. And for me to be like that, I know that I have to be good at both. I will keep moving forward!


How is the difference between 2013’s Seo Eunkwang who just made his musical debut and 2020’s Seo Eunkwang?

For now, wouldn’t it be the time where I can enjoy the stage? And my skills probably have improved a lot, right? That’s what I want to believe.


When you’re thinking about a stage, which one goes first, excitement or nervousness?

I think it’s still the nervousness for now. Especially, since this is my first musical stage after discharged, I think I will be very nervous.


Who is the first person that came to your mind as a senior who has helped you to settle down as musical actor Seo Eunkwang?

Yoo Junsang sunbae-nim. If you ask how passionate he is, there was a time during <Barnum: The Greatest Showman> musical where I couldn’t go to the practice because of my schedule. At that time, he said, “Eunkwang-ah, we should match our lines together,” and we had a phone call for one hour not only just practicing our lines, but he also led me passionately. I bet all of the actors who work together with him will feel the same. He is the first person who says, “Let’s memorize all the lines,” and everyone will have no choice but to follow him. I always feel that I should follow his passion. Also, I want to thank Kim Beomrae hyung-nim and Lee Jihoon hyung-nim who work together with me this time.


Is there any synergy between a singer’s stage and an actor’s stage?

Rather than both being helpful and give synergy to each other, I think it’s more like an extension. Because there is no difference between musical stage and the stage as singer. Of course, there are times when the abundant amount of emotions I have learned from performing are also expressed when I go on stage as a singer. Even through today’s <Theatre+> shooting, I could learn another emotion. While remembering this feeling, I’m sure that there will be a day when I can show you a more bold stage.


Among all the roles you have played until now, which character that you feel attached to the most?

Ryu Sunho in <Oh! My Goddess> musical. First of all, the fans like it the most. Many people often told me things like, “My regret is not able to see Sunho” and “I hope you will do the musical again.” The character itself makes me want to hug and embrace him. Even now, I still keep in contact with the people I worked together at the time, so won’t the day when we can do it again will come someday?


What will the audience get from <Something Rotten>?

There is no answer in your life! It contains a message and moral that as long as you have the passion and keep working hard, you will be able to bear great fruits no matter where you are. Since we are in a situation where we need more laughter, I hope many people can come to have a good laugh and relieve their stress.


What is Seo Eunkwang’s dream?

My biggest dream is to continue being together with BTOB. My dream as a musical actor is to be on the same stage together with Park Euntae sunbae-nim whom I like and respect a lot. I will work hard and make it come true no matter what. I will also work hard so I can become a person like Park Euntae sunbae-nim who can give good influences to many people.




Source : Theatre+ Naver Post

Magazine scan: (1) (2) (Eunkwang_Haram)

--- translated by: btobalwaysmelody.blogspot.com ---

please take out with full credit



No comments:

Post a Comment